LUMBERPORT, W.Va. - UPDATE (1/12/18 at 11 a.m.):
Melissa McAtee, 33, was arrested on murder charges after a Harrison County shooting Thursday night.
McAtee shot and killed David Cottrill at their residence near Lumberport at approximately 8:30 p.m., according to the Harrison County Sheriff's Department. The incident occurred in the bedroom near the rear of the residence, deputies said.
Cottrill's mother and four children were in the living room at the time of the shooting, deputies said.
Deputies said McAtee came from the bedroom to the living room, where Cottrill's family was present, to get a hunting rifle. She opened the gun cabinet and said, "Yep, there's one in there," before walking back to the bedroom. The witnesses, then, heard a single gunshot.
McAtee walked back into the living room, threw the rifle on the floor and said, "I killed the motherf***er," deputies said.
McAtee is charged with murder and is currently in the North Central Regional Jail with no bond set.
A Harrison County man was the victim of a shooting in Lumberport Thursday night.
The incident took place around 8:30 p.m. on Cottrill Lane, according to 911 officials.
The Harrison County Sheriff's Department and West Virginia State Police arrived on scene and secured the area, officials said.
The severity of the shooting was not disclosed at the time of this report, and the person responsible is in custody.
Stay with 12 News as more information becomes available.
Manhunt under way for armed and...
2 Fairmont residents arrested in...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Monongalia County seeks volunteers to aid in homelessness count
- 2 Charleston men arrested on drug charges in Morgantown
- Wanted man from the state of New York arrested in Elkins
- Sterilization issue at VA Hospital in Clarksburg affects patients