Shortstop Kevin Newman is climbing the ladder quickly in the Pirates' farm system.
Newman, who debuted with the Black Bears during their inaugural season in 2015, was called up to Triple-A Indianapolis Thursday. He's expected to become the Indians' starting shortstop.
Newman played parts of two seasons with Double-A Altoona before his call-up. He appeared in 38 games as a Black Bear in 2015.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 1 person in police custody after morning pursuit
- Morgantown man sentenced to prison for sexually assaulting teenage girls
- Indiana man arrested after deputies say they find crack cocaine
- Tractor-trailer flips in Harrison County