Robert Reckart Sentenced to 30 Months in Federal Prison - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Robert Reckart Sentenced to 30 Months in Federal Prison

Posted: Updated:

An Elkins resident was sentenced to federal prison Tuesday for illegally possessing a firearm during an incident that caused severe injuries to a teen last year, according to a news release from the office of the Attorney Northern District of West Virginia.

Robert L. Reckart, 48, has been sentenced to 30 months in prison to be followed by three years of supervised release after he pled guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The incident that led to Reckart's arrest occurred on November 25, 2011, in Tucker County when a gun that Reckart possessed during a nighttime hunting excursion discharged and struck a 15-year-old boy from Elkins, causing injuries that led to the amputation of the boy's right leg, according to the news release.

As a result of a prior federal felony conviction for distribution of cocaine, Reckart was prohibited from possession firearms of any kind.

Chief Judge John Preston Bailey imposed a more severe sentence than recommended by the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines due to the severe injuries suffered by the victim as well as the recklessness exhibited by Reckart at the time of the incident, officials said.

The court heard testimony prior to imposing the sentence from Dr. Wally Edgell, former Clerk of the U.S. District Court, who appeared on behalf of Reckart.

Officials said Judge Bailey also ordered the U.S. to provide him with the precise amount of medical bills acquired by the victim so far, as well as estimates of future medical costs. Officials said this information will be incorporated by the Court into the final judgment and commitment order to be issued against Reckart.

After the sentence was imposed, Reckart was released on bond and was ordered to self-report to the designated federal correctional institution on January 9, 2013.

This case was prosecuted by U.S. Attorney William J. Ihlenfeld, II, and was investigated by the Elkins Detachment of the State Police, with assistance from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.