Fairmont Veterinarian Gives Tips To Keep Homes 'Pet Smart' For T - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Fairmont Veterinarian Gives Tips To Keep Homes 'Pet Smart' For The Holidays

Posted: Updated:
FAIRMONT -

Bells are ringing, snow is beginning to fall, and decorations are covering the city of Fairmont.

The holiday season has announced its arrival.

As your home gets busier, your pets get curious.

Ornaments begin to look like toys and the tree water begins to look like a water bowl.

"If you have younger dogs, the bulbs on the trees look like balls so they will get them," said Pet owner Terri Buretz.

Veterinarians said there are a lot of things in the home around the holidays that can catch the attention of your pets and can cause some serious health problems.

"Ensure that the tree either has a stable foundation or is somehow tied to the wall so it can't fall over," said Fairmont Veterinarian Scott Moore. "Be sure that you use a Christmas tree apron to cover the cords as they go to the wall as much as possible."

Some pet owners have different ideas.

"Some people even get down on their level," Buretz said. "Crawl around on the floor, looking for things they could get into, hazards that they can get."

While you're out doing your holiday shopping, veterinarians want to remind you there is a big difference in what you can eat for the holidays and what your pets can eat.

While you're getting ready to prepare a delicious turkey, vets want you to reinforce that table scraps aren't good for your dogs. So make sure you add an extra little something to your shopping carts.

"Get them a real dog treat that's made for dogs and give them that," Moore said. "We need to understand that when we change their diet by giving them ham or turkey or things off the table they can get extremely ill."

Veterinarians said a lot of holiday favorites like mistletoe and holly are toxic to dogs and need to be kept out of their reach.

"Possible risks that are new, one is things like mistletoe which is a toxic plant," Moore said. "Two is holiday candies. Lots of chocolates are around the house. A new one is gum. Sugar-free gum is toxic to dogs."

Buretz said a lot of people think of their pets as their children.

"You need to take the same precautions with your pets as you would a small child," she said.

For more holiday safety tips for your furry friends, visit my Facebook page: Kelsey Pape WBOY 12 News.