Poca High School student writing a bright future - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Poca High School student writing a bright future

Posted: Updated:
Poca student Josh Higginbotham just launched his second published book, “Fading Notion, Truth is Stranger than Fiction.” Poca student Josh Higginbotham just launched his second published book, “Fading Notion, Truth is Stranger than Fiction.”
  • EducationMore>>

Marshall University pilots ‘global' medical program

Monday, September 15 2014 3:41 PM EDT2014-09-15 19:41:58 GMT
    With the start of a new program at Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine comes the beginning of a new “global” medical emphasis.

WLU offers new masters degree

Sunday, September 14 2014 2:00 PM EDT2014-09-14 18:00:14 GMT
    At West Liberty University, planning makes perfect — three years, to be exact in this case. After planning and perfecting the curriculum, a master of professional studies degree is now available at WLU.

Charles Town teacher to build school

Saturday, September 13 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-09-13 12:00:13 GMT
    Nancy SturmNancy Sturm
    Charles Town resident Nancy Sturm has devoted her life to learning.
    Charles Town resident Nancy Sturm has devoted her life to learning.
  • BusinessBusinessMore>>

West Virginia University Children's Hospital Breaks Ground on New Expansion

Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:48 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:48:24 GMT
    Monday marked the new beginning for the West Virginia University Children's Hospital. The hospital is expanding its walls to meet the growing needs of the community.

Wayne Lumber sawmill faces $85K penalty for OSHA safety and health violations

Monday, September 15 2014 11:07 AM EDT2014-09-15 15:07:16 GMT
    Wayne Lumber and Mulch Inc. faces $85,080 in proposed penalties for safety and health hazards at its sawmill in Wayne, West Virginia following two investigations by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

ASBDC to honor small business coach

Sunday, September 14 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-09-14 20:00:15 GMT
    America's Small Business Development Centers recently announced James Epling has been selected as the West Virginia 2014 State Star. The ASBDC State Star honors outstanding employees from Small Business Development Centers.

A 17-year-old senior at Poca High School, Josh Higginbotham also is president of the state's DECA chapter.

"DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe," the mission of the organization reads.

It's no wonder Higginbotham was tapped to head up the state chapter.

He is an ideal example of an emerging leader.

"I visit a lot of different schools and colleges throughout the state (with DECA)," he explained. "I speak in classes and seminars about DECA and about entrepreneurship.

"I think I'm going to be a living example of what DECA stands for. Anything is possible, if you put your mind to it."

Higginbotham has already embarked on a promising career as a writer. He had his second book published this fall, titled "Fading Notion: Truth is Stranger than Fiction." His first book was titled "Jeremiah's America: The Calling."

"My grandfather was a poet — he really loved poetry, and it descended through my parents to me," Higginbotham reasoned. "Writing is not only a way that I can express myself, but give messages to people, messages that they really do need.

"I jumped in (writing) as soon as I can. I don't think you have to wait for life. It can happen at any age."

"I am hoping that a lot of people's lives can be touched," he added. "That is more important than money or any publicity. I just want to touch a life through this work, that's what's most important to me."

The response to Higginbotham's literary work has been positive.

"So far, I have received some calls from politicians and business people saying that they're really proud that I'm doing this, that I'm being an example for these kids," he said. "I want to be an encouragement for kids."

The book, published through Westbow Press, a division of the Thomas Nelson Company in New York, is available online for order in print or an eReader edition. It also is available through bookstores.

At his book launch last month, Higginbotham quoted I Timothy 4:12 — "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."

"I've tried to live to that creed for the entirety of my life," he shared with a crowd of well-wishers in Poca High School's library during his book launch. "I want everyone to know that anybody, no matter what age, can succeed. It can happen as long as you work hard and study hard."

Higginbotham also announced he is donating 10 percent of his earnings from the book.

"I'm starting an initiative to team up with organizations that help feed, clothe and house the impoverished," he said. "And to help teach youth that they are somebody and they can make it if they try. We're going to help people that are in need the most. And we're going to give a scholarship to a student.

"If you've read ‘Fading Notion,' you understand that it takes one to start, but it takes many to finish. Let us all start a revolution together."

Upon his high school graduation this spring, Higginbotham has several options he is weighing.

"I am considering staying local and going to the University of Charleston," he said. "But I'm also interested in the Ivy League schools — maybe writing at Harvard or Yale. I just want the best education that I can get.

"I'm planning on having a good writing career. I like politics and preaching. I do a little bit of both. I'm the precinct captain of the Republican Party in our region. I organize volunteering. I like to organize and help lead people to a greater good, whether it's through charities or fundraisers. I love helping people."

He isn't shelving any plans for more books, either.

"I have two more books planned that I hope to have published next summer, for next Christmas," Higginbotham said.