Several area fire departments responded to the scene of a fire on Howard Street in Shinnston just before 4 p.m. Wednesday.
It started around 4 p.m. on Howard Street.
Family members said the homeowner and his dog were not home at the time, but a cat was able to escape.
Crews had to climb to the top of the roof to extinguish the fire, which spread to the attic.
The homeowner says he uses a wood burning stove to heat the house. No word if that's what sparked the fire.
Fire departments from Shinnston, Lumberport, Worthington, Nutter Fort, Harrison County EMS and the Harrison County Sheriff's Department also responded to the scene, according to Harrison County 911.