Bud/Alpoca dirty water runs clear, for now? - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Bud/Alpoca dirty water runs clear, for now?

Posted: Updated:
Bud/Alpoca water, 2013 Bud/Alpoca water, 2013
In Wyoming County, people in Bud and Alpoca have been living without clean water for almost a year. But now, relief has finally come.

But is the solution here to stay?

The boil water advisory was lifted last week so 59News reporter Jessie Gavin had a glass for herself.

"The water is clear. Most people are back to washing their white clothes," said Virgil Shrewsbury, Treasurer of Eastern Wyoming County Public Service District, and Bud resident.

The water tasted just fine to me, but residents of the area told us that hasn't been the case for a long time.

"I was wondering if they were ever going to get this fixed," said Alpoca resident, Lenford Burrell.

I've been following this story since the Boil Water Advisory first came out last September. Residents give us a glimpse into what everyday life has been like for the past 8 months.

"You go out and have to buy your own drinking water and elderly people don't have a way to get the water in to wash their clothes because they have to buy their water to do laundry. It's hard to tell how much you have to spend on just buying water," Shrewsbury said.

"We've hauled water from the school and there's no way you could use it except for toilet water and it's really been tough," Burrell told us.

Shrewsbury told us this is just a temporary fix. He said a permanent solution is unfortunately still a long way off. Last week, the state denied a request that would have provided additional funding for the Eastern Wyoming PSD Covel Waterline Extension Project.

"My guess is that we're looking at another year," Shrewsbury told us.

"I'll feel better when they get the new system in. It'll be more of a guarantee that it's fixed," said Burrell.

"The Covel project is on hold until further notice. We have no idea when they will reissue this money, or even if they will," said Shrewsbury,

If you would like to express your concerns, you can contact your local representative.