Recipe from Kelley McNair of Huntsville, Ala.
- 1 regular sized package of frozen cubed hashbrown style potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 3 tblspns butter
- 3 tblspns flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place frozen potatoes evenly in a 10x13 baking dish.
- Mix in diced onions with potatoes in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Using a medium saucepan, melt the 3 tblspns of butter over medium high heat.
- Once melted, add 3 tblspns flour and whisk until no lumps.
- Once bubbles appear, add 2 cups milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring until sauce becomes slightly thicker(2-3 minutes).
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese all at once.
- Stir often until cheese is all melted.
- Once melted, pour sauce evenly over potatoes in baking dish.
- Bake at 425 for 40 - 45 minutes or until golden browned on top.
10 minutes prep time; 45 minutes baking time
You can leave out the onions, depending on taste, or you can add other items. My family loves these potatoes with cubed ham or bacon bits added!