CLARKSBURG, W.Va. (WBOY) — Cold shelters in Morgantown opened at the beginning of the month, but there are options for people who need to get out of the cold across West Virginia.
Click here for power outage information in West Virginia.
The WV Coalition to End Homelessness shared the following list of warming shelter options:
- Hazel’s House of Hope, 20 Scott Ave., Morgantown – Open 24/7 from Dec. 2 to March 31
- Friendship House, 231 Walnut St., Morgantown – Open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- First United Methodist Church, 117 N Second St., Clarksburg – Open from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport is a regional warming shelter. When it serves as one, its hours are 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Scott Place Night Shelter, 215 Scott Place, Fairmont – Open from 9:30 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Fairmont Union Mission Shelter, 107 Jefferson St., Fairmont – Open from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
During the winter storm during Christmas weekend (Dec. 22-24) fire departments will serve as temporary warming shelters.
- Elkins Fire Department at 216 4th Street in Elkins
Inside Elkins, if you need a warming center, please report to the Elkins Fire Department at 216 4th St. (Map link.)
Outside the city, fire stations will also be used as warming centers. However, because many outlying fire stations are run by volunteer departments, they are not always staffed 24 hours. The Randolph County Office of Emergency Management (OEM) will facilitate activating these and other locations with volunteer assistance as needed.
If you cannot get to the Elkins Fire Department, you can reach OEM at the following number to learn of other options for getting warm: 304-636-2000. (In an emergency, dial 911.)
It is imperative that you call first before reporting to these locations to ensure they are open or to learn of alternatives. Keep in mind that these warming shelters are temporary and only open during the winter storm.
Also for the winter storm, a warming station was opened at Tacy Community Building, 288 Tacy Rd. The Barbour County Emergency Management Agency is advising people to bring an overnight bag and medications in the event that a long-term placement is needed. For assistance call, 304-457-5167.
Across the state
- Beckley Community United Methodist Church, 217 S. Herbert St., Beckley – Open from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. when the temperature is at or below 15 degrees
- Jefferson County Cold Weather Shelter, 238 W. Washington St., Charles Town – Open from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. but you need to be at the location before 6 p.m. for transportation to the shelter
- Morgan County Homeless Coalition Hope House, 47 Union St., Berkeley Springs – Open from 5:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. but completes intakes from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at this location