UPDATE (Oct. 15 3:19 p.m.):

KINGWOOD, W.Va. — The Preston County Sheriff’s Department has released the criminal complaint for a man charged for the murder of Philip “Buckie” Barlow.

According to that complaint, on May 29, 2019, deputies with the Preston County Sheriff’s Department were dispatched to the location on Shower Bath Road in Kingwood in relation to a suspicious vehicle.

When deputies arrived on scene, they “discovered an unknown person had attempted to burn the vehicle,” but the attempt was “unsuccessful as the interior of the vehicle was found smoky and smoldering,” deputies said.

A firefighter with the Kingwood Volunteer Fire Department informed deputies that the vehicle belonged to Barlow, according to the complaint.

On June 8, 2019, Barlow’s body was found near the Fortney’s Mill area of Preston County, and an autopsy revealed that Barlow “died of a deep throat laceration consistent with an inflicted injury,” deputies said.

During the course of investigating the incident, deputies “discovered a number of discrepancies in statements and odd behaviors” by Robert Quinn, 42, of Kingwood, and his live-in girlfriend; deputies stated that Quinn and the girlfriend lived in a home “situated directly next to Mr. Barlow’s,” according to the complaint.

When deputies performed a search warrant of the residence, they found “letters written between the two[Quinn and the live-in girlfriend] while she was incarcerated in which it appears Mr. Barlow was mentioned,” deputies said.

On Oct. 7, 2020, deputies received a witness statement from a person to whom the live-in girlfriend admitted that she and Quinn “had attempted to rob Mr. Barlow and murdered him,” according to the complaint.

On Oct. 9, 2020, deputies interviewed Quinn, who was incarcerated at the Garrett County Jail on unrelated charges, and after Quinn waived his Miranda rights, he “admitted that he and [his live-in girlfriend] had murdered Mr. Barlow,” deputies said.

Quinn went on to tell deputies that “the initial plan” … “was to rob Mr. Barlow because they heard he had a large sum of cash,” and Quinn and his live-in girlfriend attacked Barlow in his residence then
“transported him in his[Barlow’s] truck to Fortney’s Mill bridge,” according to the complaint.

Once there, Quinn and the live-in girlfriend walked Barlow under the bridge, and the live-in girlfriend “inflicted the throat laceration,” at which point Quinn and the live-in girlfriend took “Barlow’s truck back to Kingwood where they attempted to burn it on Shower Bath Road,” deputies said.

Deputies were able to corroborate Quinn’s account of the incident due to “Quinn providing information only the killer(s) would have known,” which included “specific injuries, location that evidence was destroyed, and routes traveled during abduction,” according to the complaint.

UPDATE (Oct. 15 11:42 a.m.):

KINGWOOD, W.Va. — Deputies with the Preston County Sheriff’s Department have issued a warrant for another individual they say was involved in the death of Philip “Buckie” Barlow.

Laura Martin

The Preston County Sheriff’s Department has issued a warrant for the arrest of Laura Lynn Martin for the charge of murder in the first degree of Barlow.

She is currently incarcerated in Garrett County, Maryland, in relation to a burglary she and Robert Quinn had committed in January.

Once Martin has completed her sentence in Garrett County, she will be extradited to W.Va. and placed into custody, according to deputies.

The sheriff’s department stated that they do not anticipate more charges or arrests in relation to Barlow’s death.

ORIGINAL (Oct. 10 5:29 p.m.):

TUNNELTON, W.Va. – A Tunnelton man is charged with first-degree murder after an investigation regarding the death of a 61-year-old man took place.

Offender Picture
Robert Quinn

According to a release, on Oct. 9, the Preston County Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged Robert Joseph Quinn, 43, of Tunnelton, with first-degree murder related to the death of Philip “Buckie” Barlow, 61, of Tunnelton.

Quinn was arraigned by magistrate with no bond set. He is currently in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail, the release states.

According to deputies, Barlow failed to arrive at his work in Kingwood on May 29, 2019, and his vehicle was found on fire that same morning near Showerbath Road. Barlow’s body was later found near Fortneys Mill in June 2019.

Quinn was already incarcerated in Garrett County Maryland on other, unrelated charges, deputies said.

The investigation is ongoing, and further arrests are anticipated. This was a combined effort from all members of the sheriff’s office, as well as several outside agencies.