Nutter Fort, WVa. - Everyone loves wedding cake, but choosing what to serve is no cake walk!
This week's wild and wonderful wedding segment, Marisa Matyola is serving up every delicious cake detail you need to know.
You might not know much about wedding cakes, well besides the obvious fact that they're delicious.
Bride-to-be Tori Riley said, "It's very important. Our entire family loves cake, everyone invited loves cake, we all love Bonnie Belle's and that's why we are here."
Bonnie Belle's owner, Linda Fowler said the more informed you are, the better your decisions will be. First schedule a tasting.
"They'll come in and they'll taste our cake and immediately fall in love with it and that's what we do."
When deciding what size cake to order, first look to your guest count. Three tiers typically serves 100 guests.
Fowler explained, "There's so many ways to do it though. You can have a two tier and have a sheet cake or you can do a very small maybe a 6 inch cake and cupcakes. We do a lot of those!"
Then there's the frosting.
"The past couple years the trend has shifted from fondant cakes to butter cream cakes. We have probably seven weddings this weekend and they are all butter cream."
There are tons of styles, designs, and trends to choose from.
"They'll bring in pictures many times from Pintrest. But right now it's this butter cream with a lot of it is this messy texture, messy on purpose. It's really the trend right now. We do a lot of the semi-naked cakes which is absolutely gorgeous with fresh flowers on it."
Marisa's Top 5 Tips:
1. Start early. Your venue choice can really influence the design details of your cake: Delicate buttercream icing won’t withstand the heat as well as sturdier fondant at an outdoor summer wedding, for example, so once you’ve secured your location, start shopping around for your baker.
2. Get social. Pintrest is an amazing tool to search for ideas and inspiration. Seek out online testimonials and reviews to complete the picture before you schedule a meeting.
3. Find your baker. Word of mouth is the tried-and-true way to find a baker, but attending wedding fairs is another route.
4. Align your style. Some bakers are highly specialized and others offer a much wider variety of styles. There are even bakers who only create naked cakes. As you explore and gather cake images, note the styles that speak to you. Whimsical? Geometric? Romantic? Rustic? Glamorous? Do you see a pattern emerging?
5. Consider the cost. Figure out where the cake purchase fits within your wedding budget. The cost of a cake is determined by the number of servings needed and the complexity of the design.
EU fines Google a record $5 billion over
Tesla Model 3 buyers lose patience and
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Head-on collision in Harrison County injures 2 people
- 2 people taken to the hospital after vehicle accident in Harrison County
- Crews respond to a structure fire on Morgan Street
- Preston County Deputies arrest man accused of hitting his mother's head with a metal lid