UPSHUR COUNTY, W.Va. – Upshur County Schools has announced the dates for their active shooter response training. The scheduled staff training will be held at each school in Upshur County.
Students will not be present at school on their respective exercise day.
“To be quite honest with you, this is one of my biggest fears of being a sheriff, is that somebody come into a school with a knife or a gun, and, you know, children… they’re defenseless. That’s why they do it, because a school is a soft target, easy access usually, they know there’s no weapons, so I think it’s pretty important that we take care of our children,” said Sheriff Virgil D. Miller, Upshur County.
The staff training sessions will include Run-Hide-Fight/Avoid-Deny Defend, room specific exercises, training on the sounds of firearms, Stop the Bleed training and identification of improvised explosive devices.
The Upshur County Schools’ training will be part of a partnership with the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department, the Buckhannon Police Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
The dates scheduled for each school are listed below:
- Sept. 23 — Buckhannon Academy Elementary School training
- Sept. 30 — Tennerton Elementary School training
- Oct. 3 — French Creek Elementary School training
- Oct. 10 — Buckhannon Upshur Middle School training
- Oct. 13 — Rock Cave Elementary School training
- Oct. 17 — Buckhannon Upshur High School training
- Oct. 28 — Hodgesville Elementary School training
- Nov. 4 — Washington District Elementary School training
- Nov. 7 — Union Elementary School training