CLARKSBURG, W.Va. – Personal finance website WalletHub released a study on the States with the Biggest Drug Problems in 2019, ranking West Virginia with the fourth-biggest drug problem in the United States.
Drug Abuse and Prevention in West Virginia (1=Biggest Problem; 25=Average)
- 8th – Opioid pain reliever prescriptions per capita
- 1st – Drug overdose deaths per capita
- 13th – Drug arrests per capita
- 8th – Share of teenagers who tried marijuana before age 13
- 1st – Drug arrests on college campuses per 1,000 students
With the Trump Administration focusing on the opioid epidemic, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia, to highlight the areas that are most affected.
The study focused on three overall categories:
1) Drug use and addiction
2) Law enforcement
3) Drug health issues and rehab